7.15.2008

food and mood- best pals or rivals for life?

here at the newly appointed headquarters for starting from scratch- again, i have decided to chart my food/mood correlations and then have a looksie later on in blog-land as the connections begin to unfold.

i have between 24-48 oz. of water in the morning before eating- to flush out and re-hydrate from the evening before. then i usually have a greens and fruit smoothie, or a breakfast salad or whatever. it's not easy for me to be on a strict dietary regime like some are. i do not enjoy the planning or rigid scheduling. or the predictability. some days i must have olives for breakfast, and if the calendar says cauliflower bisque... too bad.

this morning for breakies, i had some luscious watermelon slices.
from yumyum farms.
seriously.
how awesome is that?
if i had a farm, calling it yumyum would totally be on the top 5 choices for the name.

anyway, i noticed, after eating this gorgeous fruit, post- admiring it's color and juiceyness, that i felt calmly alert and happy. still do.
parsley is another one that effects me positively.
basil too- but less so.
cucumbers?

i am not talking about what foods make me happy while eating them- i am talking about the foods that leave me feeling well and whole and pleasant and happy after eating and digesting them, and hopefully for some time following as well.

so i think it's experiment time. strawberries and mangoes are two trusted favorites, but let's see how they fare the isolated eating/meal test.

i used to love the traditional, famous waldorf salad. but it's mayo-ness is on the "give me a break" list, so i whipped up, literally , a new recipe for my dining pleasure. if anyone out there in cyberland tries this, let me know how it goes.

it's WALDORF recipe time:

dressing-
in food processor, blend up @ 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds, and 1/4 cup pignoli's with juice of 1/2 of a lemon until it's finely ground and turns very light in color.
to it, add a couple splashes of bragg's apple cider vinegar, a couple to a few TBS virginal coconut oil, sea salt, cracked pepper, a pinch or three of dill, a tad of sass and attitude, [i add a shake of this yummy non-salt herbal blend powder from the natural foods store as well,] and as much ice-cold water as it needs to make the dressing thin enough to pour- blending as i add the water thru the chute.

salad base-
soft lettuce greens- like red/green leaf, bibb, &/or boston lettuce[s.]
a generous amount of sliced celery and golden delish apple chunks.
toss some dressing over the lettuce/celery/apple melange while singing a little tune. it always makes it taste better.

garnish-
with avocado, chopped walnuts and purple onion slices.

eat and enjoy!

2 comments:

HiHoRosie said...

That salad sounds d-lish! Can I just tell you I've never had a Waldorf salad? I've never like walnuts before but now I do. I think. I still haven't eaten them by themselves or chopped raw on a salad but have had them as a base for "beans" or "meat" and in desserts. Basically where they were ground up or minced. Maybe I'll have to be brave one day and just try them as is.

Thanks for being creative and whipping up a recipe to share. I'm not as creative so I depend on people like you to help me out. :)

HiHoRosie said...

Oh and I love that you say yum yum. A yum yum farm would be the best! I'd buy. :) Gosh, hope I'm not considered a copy-cat but I did a post a little while ago titled "yum and yum yum". hee hee!